$190 Million Loss For Restaurant After Woman Finds Dead Rat in Hot Pot

$190 Million Loss For Restaurant After Woman Finds Dead Rat in Hot Pot$190 Million Loss For Restaurant After Woman Finds Dead Rat in Hot Pot

Warning: Vomit-inducing photos ahead.

Eating out might be an enjoyable experience for your family, but as a pregnant mum recently found out in China, you might want to stay at home for meals. And it also goes to show how an isolated case like this can tank an entire company’s earnings.

A Dinner Not for the Faint Hearted 

dead rat

Source: BBC

A pregnant woman who ate out at Xiabu Xiabu, a hotpot restaurant in China’s Shandong province, experienced a repulsive dining experience.  

On September 6, she had just started on her meal when she received a shock. Her next hotpot catch appeared to a boiled, and very dead, rat. 

Her husband, Mr Ma, notified the staff. The restaurant staff’s shocking response, as reported by Kankan News, a media company in Shanghai, was, “If you are worried about the baby, then we’ll give you 20,000 yuan to abort it.”

Netizens Sickened 

dead rat

Source: BBC

Pictures of the dreadful experience soon found its way online. Many netizens were repulsed by the images, with one Weibo user saying, “I feel like vomiting. I’m never going to eat hotpot outside again.”

Other users were incensed at the staff’s lack of accountability. One user remarked, “If something happens to her baby, how are they going to compensate her? Is a life worth only 20,000 yuan?”

Investigators then inspected the restaurant promptly, but no rats were reported to have been found. Inspectors did discover that not all of the restaurant’s suppliers possessed the right qualifications, though. 

Meanwhile the restaurant in question – Xiabu Xiabu – released a statement on Spetember 8, saying that the restaurant has “always placed great emphasis on food security and would make any necessary improvements.”

Investigations Launched

dead rat

Source: BBC

It wasn’t long after that local authorities probed the Shandong outlet, and closed it down.

The outlet had also allegedly proposed to compensate the frightened couple with 5,000 yuan. However, Mr Ma declined as he preferred that his wife undergo a full body checkup before finalising how much they should be compensated.

This article appeared originally on sg.theasianparent.com.

 

It is absolutely appalling and shocking that this dead rat found in a hotpot could even happen! Be wary of food hygiene in public! 

Read more articles.

Elderly Grab Driver Suffers S$15,000 In Damages After 26-Year-Old Destroys His Car

Dog Abuser In Malaysia Charged RM8,000 (S$2,700) For Mistreating Pet Husky

Cheap Coffee In Vietnam Found To Be Mixed With Dust, Dirt And Batteries

Got a parenting concern? Read articles or ask away and get instant answers on our app. Download theAsianparent Community on iOS or Android now!

img
Written by

Sarah Voon