25 Stan Lee Quotes For When The Going Gets Tough
Stan Lee - the creator, voice, and champion of Marvel has passed away at age 95. He is widely known as the legendary man behind the Marvel Universe and was well-respected in and out of the publishing and entertainment industry.
Coming from humble beginnings, Stan Lee started small but ended up being as big and extraordinary as the superheroes that he created, and superheroes that we've come to know and love.
If you're having a rough day, read on and be inspired by these Stan Lee quotes from interviews, speeches, and other statements that the legendary man has made within his lifetime.
Stan Lee Quotes for when you're getting tired of the daily grind:
Stan Lee at the San Diego Comic Con International in 2015. © Gage Skidmore
- "To have an idea is the easiest thing in the world. Everybody has ideas. But you have to take that idea and make it into something people will respond to — that’s hard."
- "I don’t have inspiration. I only have ideas. Ideas and deadlines. "
- "If you are interested in what you do, that keeps you going!"
- "If you enjoy what you do, if you are interested in what you do, I really think that’s the best situation."
- “If you do things for money, it feels like work. If you do what you really want to do, you feel like you’re playing. Do what you do best and enjoy, then you have a better chance.”
- "I’m happiest when I’m working. If I’m not working, I feel like I’m wasting my time."
- "Most people say, “I can’t wait to retire so I can play golf,” or go yachting or whatever they do. Well, if I was playing golf, I would want that to finish so I could go and dream up a new TV show."
- "The only advice anybody can give is, if you wanna be a writer, keep writing. And read all you can, read everything."
- "If you wanna be an artist carry sketch pad with you, and sketch everything you see. Get so you can draw anything and it looks like what it’s supposed to be. It’s a lot of work, but if you really have it in you, it’s not like work. It becomes fun. "
- "I don’t analyze things too closely. I find the more you analyze, the more you get away from spontaneity. I have only one rule: I just want to write a story that would interest me — that’s the only criterion I have. Am I eager to see how it ends? If these characters really existed, would I want to see what happens to them? … If I like something, there are bound to be millions of people who like it, too. And if they don’t, shame on them."
Stan Lee quotes for when you think you're getting nowhere near your goals:
© Gage Skidmore
- "I used to be embarrassed because I was just a comic-book writer while other people were building bridges or going on to medical careers. And then I began to realize: Entertainment is one of the most important things in people’s lives. Without it, they might go off the deep end. I feel that if you’re able to entertain people, you’re doing a good thing. When you’re seeing how happy the fans are — as they [see up-close] the people who tell the stories, who illustrated them, the TV personalities — I realize: It’s a great thing to entertain people."
- "I’ve been very lucky. All I wanted was to pay the rent. Then these characters took off and suddenly there were Hulk coffee mugs and Iron Man lunchboxes and The Avengers sweatshirts everywhere. Money’s okay, but what I really like is working."
- "If there are people who like the work you’ve done, because of that, they like you and want your autograph and to take a photo, that’s really gratifying. You have to be appreciative. "
- "Luck's a revolving door, you just need to know when it's your time to walk through."
- "If I got a superpower I wouldn’t say, oh, I got to get a costume and put on a mask. I would say hey, I can do something better than other people. How can I turn it into a buck?"
- "I always figure I’m not unique, and something that would please me hopefully would please a lot of other people that have the same tastes that I do."
Stan Lee quotes for days when nothing seems to be going your way:
- “We all wish we had super powers. We all wish we could do more than we do.”
- "No one has a perfect life. Everybody has something that he wishes was not the way it is."
- "If you’re writing about a character, if he’s a powerful character, unless you give him vulnerability I don’t think he’ll be as interesting to the reader."
- "Singing a song, playing sports – anything that entertains, that takes people away from their own problems, is good."
- "The power of prayer is still the greatest ever known in this endless eternal universe. "
- "I think people have always loved things that are bigger than life, things that are imaginative."
- "I don’t know where the hell I’ll be in 5 years. Maybe I’ll be producing movies, maybe I’ll be on a corner selling apples. I don’t know, but I’m having a hell of a lot of fun."
- "What did Doctor Doom really want? He wanted to rule the world. Now, think about this. You could walk across the street against a traffic light and get a summons for jaywalking, but you could walk up to a police officer and say “I want to rule the world,” and there’s nothing he can do about it, that is not a crime. Anybody can want to rule the world. So, even though he was the Fantastic Four’s greatest menace, in my mind, he was never a criminal! "
- "Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people’s well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them — even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."
What's your favorite among these quotes? Share these to anyone who needs a surge of inspiration!